Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Giving up Sweets for Lent??

Sugar detox - real or imagined?  I can tell you from personal experience it is very real.  And quite painful.  Sugar detox and the severity of withdrawal symptoms are influenced by several things:  sensitivity to sugar, quantity consumed, how long you have been consuming sugar and how you stop (tapering off versus cold turkey.)

If you chose sugary treats as what you gave up for lent, you will be giving this up cold turkey and may experience more severe symptoms.  If however you simply want to cut sugar from your diet, it may be best to gradually lower sugar intake, which should lessen your withdrawal symptoms.

Common symptoms include fatigue, anxiety & irritability, depression, rapid heart rate, dizziness, headaches and poor sleep.  You may also experience flu-like symptoms.  The length of symptoms varies from a few days to a few weeks.  The most common symptom seems to be increased cravings for sugar or carbohydrates in general.

There are a few nutrients that help reduce the symptoms of withdrawal and sugar cravings.  These include B-vitamins, vitamin C, zinc, chromium and L-glutamine.  Chromium helps insulin work more efficiently by removing sugar from the blood and L-glutamine can be used as a fuel source and also helps reduce cravings.

When I cut sugar from  my diet, I personally experienced intense cravings, headache and flu-like symptoms for about a week.  The third day was the peak and then it decreased after that.  On the third day my headache was so extreme I could barely function.  Sincerely.  Now take into account that I was a 6+ a day Dr. Pepper drinker among other things.

Since eliminating refined sugar from my diet I do find I have a sensitivity to it now.  When I eat it, as in dessert for instance, if I eat more than half the serving I become physically sick at my stomach.  Therefore when I do have a treat meal that involves sugar, I make sure it is a very small amount.

I have had nothing but positive results since eliminating refined sugar.  My energy level is higher, my mood is happier, my skin and hair is shinier and healthier.  I also do not have swelling in my face as I did before.

In my opinion, if your goal is to begin a clean eating plan, elimination of sugar is the place to start.  And if you gave this up for Lent, you are well on your way!

Cheers!











No comments:

Post a Comment